Spring Broad Bean Salad
In this weeks produce box you may have seen something unfamiliar...If you're wondering what these are they are certified organic broad beans from Wattle Groove Citrus farm.
How do I work with this ingredient:
- Simply boil in salted water for 2 minutes (as they come seen above) or steam them the same way you would other beans or snow peas, then refresh in cool water after boiled to stop cooking process.
- Once cooled, peel the beans out of the pods, remove the outer skin on the bean to reveal a lovely bright green bean.
- These are delightful to eat on their own as a snack or delicious in any salad.
This is a recipe I made up tonight to share with you all on how you can use them and incorporate a few other ingredients in your box to create a delicious salad.
Spring Broad Bean Salad:
WARNING: This salad is completely delicious and you may wish to keep it up your sleeve as a yummy summer entertainer (pending that's on the cards for us over the next few months)
200gms Broad Beans ( in this weeks box)
Handful of fresh Mint Leaves
3 Squares of Merediths Goat Cheese
3/4 Lemon wedges skin removed
1/2 White Onion ( in this weeks box)
1/2 teaspoon salt
Left over bread loaf (2-3 slices) torn into pieces
5-6 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Asparagus bunch ( in this weeks box)
1 Baby Broccoli bunch ( in this weeks box)
1 Teaspoon Garlic Granules
3/4 of lemon skin removed
1/3 cup olive oil
Salt and Pepper to season
2 Tablespoons Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar
1-2 Teaspoons garlic granules
Blitz in a small blender like a Nutri bullet for 30seconds on high.
- Steam or Boil your broad beans (as per method above)
- Turn on your oven to 180 degrees, line tray with baking paper and tear bread into small chunks and place on the tray.
- Using a nutri-bullet or other similar small blender or food processor (depending what you have) place the oil, garlic and 1/2 onion into the blender and blitz til smooth. (if it looks too think add more oil and blitz).
- Pour the onion mix onto torn bread and turn a few times to coat well so that all the pieces are covered back and front and place in the oven for 10-12 min keeping an eye on it and turning it so it is crispy back and front.
- Once broad beans are cooked remove the beans and peel off the cases, place in salad bowl.
- (If desired) grill asparagus and baby broccoli on grill fry plan or BBQ and add to this salad. (Noting; this salad works well with/or without these ingredients). Up to you!
- Break up 3 square blocks of Meredith goats cheese with your hands over the salad.
- Tear hand full of fresh mint leaves and add to salad bowl
- Once cooled add the crispy bread crotons into the salad
- Dress salad with the lemon vinaigrette and roughly toss to coat through.