Swedes prepared 4 different ways!
Wondering how to work with swedes? Don't worry we've got you covered!
Swedes are back in season and whilst you're likely to see them at the grocer, do you pick up them up and give them a go at home?
At Elisha Foods we are all about giving you the best mix of what is seasonally available as well as giving you the odd item here and there that you may not typically reach for.
We don't do it to overload you with items less familiar but more to encourage you to work with different items in your kitchen you may not necessarily pick on your own to bring you out of your cooking comfort zone.
When we do give you an item less familiar don't be alarmed, we will always give you tips and hints on how to work with these less familiar items to give you inspiration and guidance for your home cooking exploration and we just LOVE hearing your feedback and seeing your creations.
Why not tag us in what you've been cooking with your produce box on instagram at #ElishaFoodies
Here are 4 different ways to prepare, cook and store swedes.
1. Roasted Swedes
- 2-3 Swedes peeled and quartered
- 4-6 Potatoes peeled and quartered
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil 3 Tablespoons
- 2 Teaspoons of organic garlic granules
- Fresh parsley or chives (or other dried herb of choice)
- Salt and Pepper to season
- Zest of one lemon
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese finely grated
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees
- Line a baking dish with baking paper
- Toss chopped swedes and potatoes in baking dish with herbs and season with salt and pepper and olive oil.
- Roast in oven for 20min and give a toss and put back in for further 10min.
- Garnish with fresh herbs, finely grated parmesan and lemon zest
2. Swede Mash
- 2-3 Swedes peeled and quartered
- 100gm Butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Steam or boil your swedes for 12-15min, fork it to check its tender and soft before removing
- Mash well with a fork or Mashing tool or bar mix, then blend butter through the mix adding salt and pepper to taste.
3. Raw Swede Salad
- 3-4 Swedes peeled and grated
- 2 Carrots peeled and grated
- 5 Celery Stalks peeled and grated
- Quarter of Red or Green Cabbage chopped finely
- 1 Red Capsicum chopped
- Hand full of flat leaf parsley chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 150ml Extra Virgin Organic Olive Oil
- 50gm Balsamic Vinegar
- Place all of your grated ingredients in a serving dish along with chopped ingredients
- In a cup mix lemon juice, oil, vinegar until well combined
- Mix through salad until well covered and garnish with parsley
4. Honey Roasted Swede Chips
- 3-4 Swedes peeled and chopped into long slices for chips
- 4 Tablespoons of Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Tablespoon Honey
- Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- Salt and Peper to season
- Par-boil or steam for 5-8min til softened, don't overcook as they will break up
- Place on a paper lined baking dish, coat with oil and salt and pepper then place into a pre-warmed oven at 200 degrees, cook for 40min total cook time. Removing and tossing half way through cooking time. Then take out 10 min before complete and add Honey and mustard and toss through.
- Cook for final 10min til honey and mustard has caramelised over the chips.
How to Store Swedes
- You can store your swedes like other root vegetables in a dark place away from direct sunlight is best.
- You can dice and freeze your swedes to use when needed in stews, soups, veggie backs etc.
Elisha Foods is an organic produce home delivery service in the Bayside area of Melbourne delivering fresh thoughtfully curated organic Australian grown produce boxes directly to your door fresh, same-day-as-sourcing each and every Tuesday between 3-7pm weekly. Elisha Foods offers mixed Fruit and Veg, Veg only and Fruit only produce boxes on a pay-as-you-go or subscription service. Learn more about our produce boxes here. Learn more about what's in the box each week here.